Ingredients (for 1 person)
2 ounces lean beef
1 dash of salt and pepper
1 teaspoon olive oil, extra virgin
1/4 (Each) onions, raw
1 teaspoon garlic, chopped
1/2 cup carrots, chopped
1/4 cup brown rice, uncooked
1/4 cup red lentils, dry
1/4 cup vegetable broth
1 (Each) green salad (2 c) and 2 Tbsp reduced-fat Italian dressing
- Cut beef into small cubes—season with salt and pepper.
- Heat olive oil in a medium saucepan.
- Add beef and saute until brown on all sides.
- Chop onion and add to the pan. Continue to saute for 5 minutes. Add garlic and stir an additional 1-2 minutes.
- Dice carrots into bite-size pieces and add to the pan. Continue to cook, stirring often, for 2-3 minutes.
- Pour in rice and cook until browned slightly.
- Add in lentils and broth. Season with additional salt and pepper if desired, bring to boil, lower to simmer, cover, and cook for 30-35 minutes until rice and lentils are soft but not mushy.
- Serve with a salad topped with reduced-fat dressing.
Nutritional information per serving: 387 cal, 10g fat, 49g carbohydrates, 26g protein